compiled by Levi Weiser, staff writer
In college, you aren’t gonna have the time or resources to make a meal like mom used to at home, but I guarantee you’ll miss the food. So here are five recipes you can make with a microwave and a coffee mug in just a few minutes.
Mac N’ Cheese
⅓ cup (28g/1oz) pasta
¾ cup (175ml/6fl oz) water, cold
4 tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoons cornstarch (aka cornflour)
4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper
- In a large microwavable mug or large bowl add in the macaroni and the water. You need a large mug as the water will boil up.
- Microwave for roughly 3 ½ minutes. You want the pasta to be fully cooked. (timing is based on my 1200W microwave so your timing might vary)
- Pour off the remaining cooking water.
- Stir in the milk, cornstarch and shredded cheese and microwave for a final 60 seconds to create your sauce. Stir well, season with salt and pepper and enjoy.
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup canned refried beans
3 tablespoon salsa
10 tortilla chips, or more if desired
3 tablespoon shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 avocado, diced
1 teaspoon sour cream, for garnish (optional)
1 teaspoon canned green chilis, for garnish (optional)
1 teaspoon thinly sliced trimmed scallions, for garnish (optional)
- Spray the inside of a 12-oz. mug with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the beans and salsa.
- Place half of the chips in the mug and top with a third of the cheese and half of the bean-salsa mixture. Top with the remaining chips, another third of the cheese, and the remaining bean mixture. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and microwave until most of the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Uncover and microwave until the remainder of the cheese melts, about another 30 seconds. Top with the avocado and other garnishes, and serve with additional chips, if desired.
4 tablespoon flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/16 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
Dried Italian herbs
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large, microwaveable mug.
- Add milk and oil and stir.
- Spread marinara on top of batter.
- Sprinkle on cheese, pepperoni, and Italian herbs.
- Microwave for 1.5 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp sugar
¼ tsp baking powder
a pinch salt
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp peanut butter
- In your mug, stir together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and a pinch of salt). Make sure there are no clumps.
- Stir in the vegetable oil and milk until the mixture is smooth. Drop a tablespoon of peanut butter into the center and push it down into the batter.
- Microwave on high for one minute and then enjoy!
1 tablespoon milk
Toppings (cheese, chopped onions, chopped ham, chopped turkey, etc.)
- Crack eggs into mug. Add milk. Beat with fork
- Microwave for one minute.
- Add toppings and microwave for 30-60 seconds, or until egg is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!